Temple was built by Jinul, a national master
monk who was often called with the title
of honor, Bojo-guksa, in the 25th year of
King Myeongjong of Goryeo Dynasty(A.D. 1195).
The temple is located near to the Yeosu
During the Japanese invasion(1592~1598),
the temple was used as a training camp for
monk-led naval forces under the command
of Admiral Yi Sunshin. The temple was burnt
down by the Japanese invaders during the
war. The buildings were rebuilt in the 2nd
year of King Injo(A.D. 1624).
Since then, Heungguksa has been known as
the patriotic Buddist temple that made great
contribution to defend the country.